We took car to Blyton for a little test in Feb, just to make sure all was well. It was so just a quick check over and we are ready for this new season.

Just ready for round 1 now.


And so to Silverstone in March for round 1 in the sun, much nicer than the snow, and icey wind of 12 months ago.

Here the keen ones are awaiting entry to the circuit.

Practise gave us a headache, after 2 laps the engine temps went up and the battery light came on??

I suspected the serpentaine belt had come off, however I found this:

The power steering pulley and its shaft was sat on sump guard, not a good start.  However, with the help from Steve Cozens crew and a belt from Bellerby Motorsport we managed to reconfigure a shorter belt to go round crank, water pump and alternator and not slip.

Heats went fine, up against some Group B cars but had some good racing.



We then made it to the final, and despite making an error going from 2nd to 5th instead of 3rd off start line, we ended up 5th, then Stuart Bowes spun the Mini and 4th was where we finished overall, that was 1st in Super Retro class tho :).

 Below is some footage by a spectator on a You Tube link

Next stop Lydden Hill on Easter Monday.


Lydden Hill in the sunshine on Easter Monday and rallycross, what more could you ask for. Maybe some of the old group B cars, well there was 6 or 7 of them also.

Out we went for practise and poor old girl was only running on 4 cylinders, it did manage 5 after 3 laps but that was it. A new set of plugs went in the we went for heat 1.


Heat 1 went well and we ended up fastest 2WD car and we lined up behind the Group B cars for heat 2 with Steve Cozens and Stewart Bowes. 


In heat 3 there was a coming together off the start and into Chessons, I had a good start and had the inside line, John in the Stratos had a couple of wheels on grass just behind me on inside. He caught the track limit markers and took the nearside front wheel off, Dave Halford in the Audi kindly collected the Stratos's front bonnet on his rear wing, he knew n othing of it though!


A small clip of incident.

There was a decision made at the start of the day that the Group B cars would have their own final as there was 6 of them, the 2wd cars then had the normal semi's and final.  I was pole for semi 1 and was able to finish first meaning pole for final.
A good start from pole and into first corner first, head down and try to get away from Steve Cozens who had been nibbling at my back bumper all day. Four laps later and we crossed the line and a waved chequered flag meant a first place. 

A youtube clip of Retro.

And another clip of retro:

Today could not have been better, lets hope Pembrey in June goes as well as today has, but before then, we have an invitation to Silverstone for the World RX round in May. 

FIA World Rallycross Championship Round 4 at Silverstone

We had an invite to support the Retro Rallycross team at the Speed Machine event and put on some racing during the weekend.



An on board clip of heat 2


And then on to Pembrey for rounds 3 and 4 over the same weekend. The circuit has totally changed since we were last at Pembrey and also it is run clockwise on Saturday, then anticlockwise on the Sunday. I would have 2 citcuits to learn and fast.

The run from the start line to first corner was critical as there was not much chance to overtake on the track. The hundred and forty ish yards to the first corner was not very long to sort out the pack. Brian was also getting good starts in his yellow MK2 and I could not get past him on the short run to 1st corner. Pole position was critical then. During the Saturday heats Brian jump started and that gave me the break to get away and then stayed on pole for rest of heats and into final. The circuit was watered just before the final. On lap one though as I turned onto loose through the tight hairpin I ran a touch wide. Brian stuck the nose of the Escort up inside and into the lead. I got back with him in a lap or so and tried to pressure him into a mistake, on lap 5 going over the slippery wet loose section, Brain ran a touch wide and I sneaked up the inside, we ran side by side through last corner ond over finish line onto last lap. I just managed to get ahead going onto the straight and kept the lead to the end, getting another hard fought victory.



The Final went to plan but I was pushed all the way by the yellow MK2 of Brian's. Looking forward to Sunday to try and repeat the sucess.

Sunday started nice warm and dry, just as Saturday had been all day, so with practise done we lined up for heat 1. Brian was gridded in front of me so I was not going to beat him to the first corner, he won all the heats, stayed on pole for the final. The weather though was going to have a say, as final time came so did the rain.  Brian did not have the Avon wets only some rally wets and he was certain they would not be good enough.  I managed to beat him off the line to first corner in the rain, and kept the lead to the end. It would have been a different story if the weather had stayed dry tho.


Some video footage:


Bank holiday Monday in August and it is Lydden Hill, it has often rained in the past but today is was hot, 32 degrees of hot.  The usual contenders in Super Retro were there but also a return for Ray Morgan, another one who will be wanting a win.  Ther heats went fine until  we filled up with fuel before heat 3 and then the car had a misfire at irregular times. A change of fuel pump partially helped but not fully cured so we managed to keep it going in heat 3 and the final.



We won heat one and two but with the misfire Phil got by in the Renault 5, I still had done enough for pole in the final.  John got the best start in the Stratos and I followed him through Chessons in the final. Because of the misfire I did not have the pace to chase him tho and concentrated on keeping the others behind me. Then on lap 2 John pulled off with a broken drive shaft and I managed to keep ahead of the rest to bag another win.

Next round is Pembrey in 4 weeks time, just need to stay ahead of John Cross to collect points for the championship.

Some footage of the day:

And official Faceache video:


And then back to South Wales and Pembrey again for round 6 of the OBP Motorsport Retro Rallycross Champonship 2019 in the sun, well on Saturday anyway.  Sunday arrived along with the rain, both John Cross and Phil Collard never arrived though, either car or body problems. That left Brian and myself to battle for Super Retro honours, again.

Brian was drawn on pole for heat 1 and I was next to him. I managed to beat Brian to the second corner which got me on the loose first, then it was being sensible on the wet slippery circuit to stay in front and claim pole for heat 2. That was the status quo for heats 2 and 3 also which gave me pole for the final. In the mean time Shirley wanted an interview for the social media circus and Steve Nottage had the job of asking the qestions.  

Here is the first intervview:

And then the interview before the final:  

In heat 3 Brian broke the gearstick and the box was stuck in neutral, that left him struggling to sort it for final. Unfortunately he never made the final so hat left me on pole, Tony Lynch next to me and Steve Cozens next to him.  
 A good start got me to first corner first and then a steady run to the chequered flag to get the 6t win from 6 races.  How unbelievable is that, 6 from 6!!!!!! 



And with another maximum points haul that gives me the Super Retro Championship crown for 2019, there is still the John Button Trophy to be won though. That is between Steve Cozens and myself, I am 8 points ahead going to our local circuit at Croft with 30 points on the table, so it is not over yet.


And to Croft for the final round of the OBP Retro Rallycross championship for 2019 and to see who will win the John Button Trophy for the overall championship points winner. As the Super Retro championship was in the bag I just needed a good points haul if Steve Cozens was to win his class, he wasn't on the entry list but that means nothing.

The weather was forecast to be appaling, and how right it was. It rained all day Friday and until mid afternoon on Saturday, still it was the same for everyone.  We were on pole for heat 1 race 2, but only 4 of us in each race.


The loose was so wet and sticky that there was no grip at all, Tony Lynch had some narrow road tyres and drove straight past me on the loose!!!  Anyway we qualified in the middle of front row for final after the 3 heats, the rain had stopped and the conditions were improving race by race.  A good start got me to first corner first and the as we got to hairpin at end of loose chaos took over behind as Tony and Brian touched and spun,blocking the circuit briefly. 


The win made it 7 wins from 7 races, could not be any better and even though Steve did not come up it did not matter as I had done it anyway, I was overall champion for 2019 OBP Retro Rallycross.

Some footage of the final:

I get the trophy officially at the end of November at the awards night, Night of Champions, don't know where it will go though as it is hugh.

In the mean time, start getting ready for the 2020 championship.



A few days later and I have made a start to stripping the car ready for some new straight panels that will wear a new colour scheme.



All damaged panels off and most of Crofts mud washed off.

And starting on he new panels.