The rebuild of the car over winter continues, New full bodykit fitted but not ready for paint yet and old 6 cyl engine and box is out and up for sale.
New engine is in place and crossmember is fabricated to take Escort MK2 rack and BMW engine and suspension. Slight issue with exhaust downpipoe as it is right infront of steering column where it comes through bulkhead!!!!
Also had pedal box out for access to sort steering column. Has to move clutch reservoir as wastegate would be in way, also replaced clutch master cylinder at same time. This was the steering column issue.
So once this was sorted, easily done using a self aligning bearing flange block, the engine mounts were fabricated in steel as the original cast alloy ones are not only very expensive to replace but I was not convinced they could cope with the strains of offroad motorsport.
Then I put new dog leg first gearbox on after draining and refilling with Redline MTL oil, I had to make a gearbox mount as it is totally different from ZF one I used before.
So with the engine and gearbox now in actual position I could confirm correct position of steering column and the rack. I also removed the old butchered slam panel as replacement ones are fairly cheap, I also decided to make it removable as it makes access to engine and engine removal so much easier.
Then it was time to take engine back out, clean up engine bay and throw a bit of paint at it. Then I put some heat reflective material around the strut top area.
Engine back in and onto sorting slam panel before sorting radiator, intercooler and oil cooler.
Also sorted out a coolant header tank, could not use old one as there was no room as the external wastegate was now occupying that space. Found a BMW Mini version fitted just in space on inner wing near air filter.
KMS MD35 ECU ordered and should be here next week, the I can get on and sort engine loom out and rest of wiring necessary. Also ordered adjustable FPR and 3 bar map sensor, both of which are to fit in engine bay and wire in.
above the top of the header so it will have to be moved, not sure where to though! Got some wiring done, loom modified to take MD35 ECU plug, mini loom made for all gauges, starter and alternator wired up. Got engine breather tank mounted.
Made the front slam panel removable, as getting engine in and out is so much easier with it removed. Then got intercooler, radiator and oil cooler all mounted. With radiator in place it was obvious the position of the header tank was wrong. The top of the rad was 4 inches
Found a new home for header tank, it is now next to brake servo. Its a bit tight but I need the height. Got ecu mounted, rad fan wired, just waiting for some 25mm silicon hose to finish cooling system off then I think we are about ready to fill with coolant. Now just need fuel hose to arrive then I can fit FPR.
Engine up and running, just needs a session on rollers to make sure all is well. Need to fabricate an exhaust also in 3 inch from bottom of downpipe to silencer.
Time to concentrate on bodywork, got doors painted in and out, and primer on bonnet, boot, rear spoiler and flap.
Got above panels in new colour, now to get car shell painted.
First of all into primer.
And the the new colour.
Rolling Road booked for this week (mid March) with Chris at Sheffield Rolling Road so need to get the old girl fit for that.
Front suspension back on, some body panels on and a little test to make sure clutch works, gearbox works etc. I bought some used
Pirelli road tyres for rollers as the Avons just get too hot and end up spitting rubber everywhere.
Lets hope all goes well and engine comes back in one peice!
Then it will be time to get some decals and stripes on, corner weight it and get ready for whenever the first round may be,
I suspect it will be moved back due to this virus.
OK, so now it is beginning of April and everything has ground to a halt!! At least I can finish it off in slow time now. Anyway at rollers last month we had a couple of issues. Cooling system was not good enough, that was using rad I got with engine, and we had a/some boost leaks. Boost was not starting til 5k, exhaust housing too big. All off boost mapping was done though for Fuel and Ignition so just need to go back for the on boost maps, hi and low switchable maps and the launch control.
A little clip on rollers, just off boost mapping:
To that end I bought a Dual Pass Mishimoto radiator and twin fan setup, not cheap but needs must. The knock on effect from that was:
1. Oil cooler in way.
2. Inlet plenum now in way of new rad.
3. Breather tank also in way of rad.
I also bought a different sized oil cooler to go behind N/S headlight, a .63 exhaust housing instead of the 1.04 and also the gear I need to finish off the exhaust in 3 inch all way to tail pipe.
So, with radiator here is before:
Inlet plenum needed 1 1/2" taking out on the 90 degree where it heads down towards inner wing, the elbow was hitting radiator. There is not much space now, only 10mm. Thanks to Ben at Jemison Engineering in Bishopthorpe York for sticking it back together once I chopped out what was required.
Got a lobster back style pipe to move air filter directly behind headlight area to try to keep hot air out, also made a heat shield to go down between radiator and turbo.
Also got new sump on, what a nice piece of work(and expensive).
Also made up a test rig to pressurise intake system looking for leaks, found loads on welding on inlet plenum. Blowing bubbles everywhere. Got some epoxy adhesive mixed and went round the worst of them, doesn't look pretty but it is effective.
Got exhaust finished today, only had 3" for half of system when on rollers first time, now got 3" all way to exit so should help turbo breath better.
Retro Rallycross news headline this week: