Seeing how as I could not get to pub after christmas as we got moved up to tier 3, I looked into the options of adjusting of the 4 link bars and its effects on grip and handling. There are gains to be made apparently, the standard kit is primarily intended for gravel spec rally cars as the parrallel bars give best compromise for squat and anti squat, castor change and roll steer, and being suitable for road use.
I thought that if I can improve traction off the line and improve traction generally then it would be a good thing.
Got tape out and started measuring to come up with a plan.
As the standard 4 link boxes have one lower hole and three upper holes, that means there is only adjustment available on the top bars. There is only one upper and lower hole on the axle brackets so no adjustment there, yet.
I then found the approx centre of gravity for car which is 24" off ground and around 8" rearwards of gearlever, I could then plot the angle for the link bars for ideal setup depending on squat and antisquat. Both squat and antisquat waste energy(power) by moving suspension either up or down but at zero squat and zero antisquat there is an increase in caster/roll steer during cornering so some compromise has to be made.
So I made a start at the body boxes, the top ones have three adjustment holes so I made some extra for the lower ones.
Now we have six to choose from, that should be enough.
New gripper diff has arrived along with a CWP from sweden with a ratio of 4.88:1. Also got a Volvo version of the Atlas axle brace to hopefully stop the new axle tubes bending and a Toe correction kit originally for the Atlas again but I have made it fit the Dana axle.
The axle, diff and CWP is currently in Malton with Pete Fidell, the local axle expert. Ian Jemison has a pair of my half shafts and is modifying them to 4x100 pcd with a 57.1mm hub centre.
The chassis is all ready to fit the axle, as soon as it all gets back to workshop it will be going in.
I have also been modifying the front suspension/steering setup. I made a track rod end replacement kit and reduced the steering lock required for full lock with changing the Ackerman angle too much. With the 2.2 Escort quick rack and the new kit with spherical rod ends full lock is less than 2 turns lock to lock.
I have also been on with repairing the damage to the rear bumper and it is about ready for paint.
And then today, 3 months after ordering it in December, the twin plate clutch kit arrived. Its a thing of beauty, but it wants to be for what it costs!!!
Looks like thats a job for this Saturday morning, just need axle back now then we can get car finished and go for some more boost to Sheffield.